Friday, September 25, 2009

Getting back to basics

Not much new to report on the Emily front. I’m still trying to generate some more media attention, but the growing influence of social media and the internet is having a decidedly negative impact on traditional media outlets. Space and air time are limited, but I will keep plugging.
------------------------------
Back to basics

And now, if you'll indulge me, I'd like to return to the primary topic and purpose for "Maria Talks Back" -- my memoir, Growing Pains.

When you’re self-employed, it’s the nature of the beast. Work ebbs and flows. But when I’m busy it’s a challenge to carve out time each week to market myself to ensure that the work will keep flowing.

Instead, I tend to prioritize things that have a deadline – which may be why I haven’t worked on the latest revision of my memoir in awhile.

It’s frustrating. I’m just pages away from finishing this latest edit. And when I'm finally done, I'll start all over again, at the beginning.

Since starting this blog, my voice has changed – for the better (or at least I think so). And I want that same viewpoint reflected in Growing Pains. I suppose that’s part of the process as a writer. To grow and learn and change.

Ironically, I look forward to starting over. Despite my medical challenges, the people and places I’m writing about -- those who shared in my struggle -- are infinitely dear to me and I enjoy “visiting” them through my writing.

Therefore, I’ve declared my office a Do it Now! zone.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. I do (wish you luck) -- and congratulations on your part in Suzette's & Emily's victory!

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think...