Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Aug. 4, 1979

On this day, 30 years ago, I celebrated the removal of my second and final body cast with family and friends during a “coming out” party.

The cast was officially removed on July 31 and, by the time my party date arrived, I was well and truly certain that my treatment for scoliosis was over.

No more spinal surgery. No more braces and casts.

It’s ironic that I have, after a lengthy hiatus, resumed revising my memoir, Growing Pains, today. I am almost at the end of the manuscript, which is what suddenly alerted me to the significance of today’s date.

I had a great time at my party. I remember feeling that a tremendous burden had been lifted – something far heavier than the weight of my cast. I’d been set free from scoliosis. It’s a feeling I’ve never forgotten. One that still makes me smile, 30 years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...