Tuesday, November 3, 2009

What would Grandpa think?

Twenty-six years ago today, Grandpa died.

It started in Summer 1983. He was losing his balance and coordination. Diagnosis: a brain tumor that was successfully removed. He went for radiation treatment as an outpatient, but when he started chemo, the stress of caring for him at home proved too much for Grandma, so he returned to Orange Memorial Hospital.

Orange Memorial. The place where Essex County’s ailing elderly went and -- more often than not -- stayed until they died.

The place was a well-oiled Medicare milking machine; a sterile environment in which to languish while Nature took its course – and Medicare paid the bills.

Such was Grandpa’s fate. A few days before he died, the doctors noticed he had jaundice. The reason: liver cancer.

Based on the limited knowledge I have about cancer and brain tumors, I know that primary brain tumors are extremely rare. In all likelihood, Grandpa’s brain tumor was secondary to his liver cancer. Could he have survived if his doctors had been more thorough? Probably not. But, I think his last days may have been very different – and the final cost to Medicare, greatly reduced.

Although I try not to think about the hopeless pain of Grandpa’s last hospital stay (there are, thankfully, so many other wonderful memories of him that I cherish), I can’t help wondering what he would say about our nation’s current health care debate.

Politically, he leaned to the right – like the rest of my family (I’m the political “black sheep”), but I remember him diffusing more than one argument at the Sunday dinner table by quoting, “I may not agree with what you have to say, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it!”

In recent weeks, I’ve been cautiously optimistic that a spark of compromise is in the works in our nation’s Capitol with regard to health care. And, if he had lived to see it, I think Grandpa would be open to the possibility of such change. As I reflect on Grandpa’s memory today, I’m hopeful that we’ll all do what we can to fan that spark into a flame.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...