Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas

As Chevy Chase so wisely put it at the end of National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, [paraphrasing here] each person defines Christmas in his or her own unique way.


For me, Christmas is a collage of memories and feelings. It’s also been a checkpoint in time; an opportunity to take stock of where I’ve been and where I want to go.


Thirty years ago, I celebrated my first Christmas of freedom from back braces and body casts. But even before that wonderful year – 1979 – there are many fond memories of Christmases past, spent with family and friends, that combine to create my definition of Christmas.


Time and circumstances have altered the how and where of the season. I no longer live near extended family, and many of the relatives from my parents’ and grandparents’ generations have passed on. So, the focus is now on the next generation – my children – and helping them establish a foundation, rooted in tradition, upon which to build their own Christmas memories.


Traditions from my childhood -- like meatless Christmas Eve dinner and waiting until Dec. 24 to place the Holy Family in the manger – endure. And they join new customs like delivering Christmas cookies to our neighbors, and going to the movies between dinner and dessert on Christmas Day.


May you and yours create your own, special Christmas memories and enjoy peace, love and joy now and throughout the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...