Friday, August 6, 2010

Scam alert: International Blogging Recognition Council

Earlier this week, I opened my email to find this missive:

"During the month of July, the International Blogging Recognition Council (IBRC) had the pleasure of reviewing your blog Maria Talks Back. Your blog was referred to IBRC through our Refer-A-Blog program. 'The unemployment truth ~ can you handle it?' was the topic that the Council reviewed. Based on the review, the Council has recommended that your blog receive IBRC’s designation of 'Recognized Blog.' IBRC reserves this honor to those blogs that effectively connects with the audience and promotes the sharing of ideas and experiences.

"We invite you to visit our website to learn more about IBRC and our “Recognized Blog” award. Congratulation on your accomplishment.

Sarah L. Tolten
Review Committee Chair
International Blogging Recognition Council"

I must admit, I was flattered -- until I went to the website in search of a "badge" that would designate my blog as "recognized." It was available to me -- for a one-time fee of $45.

After conferring with fellow writers and bloggers, I've confirmed that this is a scam. As one colleague put it, "Awards you have to pay for aren't worth having. There's a big difference between paying for the award and paying an entry fee in a legitimate awards competition."

So, I am using the power of my pen to spread the word and, hopefully, hasten a swift demise to the IBRC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...