Thursday, March 12, 2009

Flat-back syndrome

I had my surgeries during the 1970s. At that time, the Harrington rod was widely used as a “cutting-edge” technology for spinal fusions to correct scoliosis and, consequently, I have a six-inch rod aligning my spine. It’s held up pretty well through the years, with the minor exception of a dislodged hook – the result of a tumble down the stairs just a few years after my scoliosis surgery. The errant hook is a topic of discussion every time I have a chest X-ray. I’ve learned to anticipate the doctor’s efforts to break the news to me gently by politely waving him/her off with an “I know, a hook dislodged from my rod. Now let’s talk about…”

Over time, though, my Harrington rod has contributed to a malady known as flat-back syndrome. Until recently, the medical profession didn’t recognize this condition for what it is – a loss of the spine’s natural curve that enables “normal” folks to walk with a good posture. However, through much effort on the part of aging scoliosis patients and other advocates, orthopedists now acknowledge flat-back syndrome and the problems it creates for those afflicted with it. You can read more about it at this link to the National Scoliosis Foundation’s website:
http://www.scoliosis.org/resources/medicalupdates/flatback.php.

I recently had the degree of my flat-back syndrome measured at my orthopedist’s office and was told that a worsening of the condition is NOT inevitable if I can keep my hip and spine muscles flexible and strong. My daily regimen includes stretching and strengthening exercises for that precise purpose, so I’m hopeful.

My flat-back isn’t painful, but it does make me feel like a half-folded lawn chair sometimes. And I am very self-conscious about people noticing – and sometimes commenting! – when I’m not walking “right.” But it is what it is. There are surgical options, but I’ve had several doctors tell me not to bother if I’m not experiencing extreme pain….basically, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I have been suffering with pain from flatback syndrome for many years. I've been looking for exercises especially helpful for this condition. Would you mind sharing details of the stretching exercises you are doing?

    thanks so much,
    kstorie@puckett.org

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think...