Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Milwaukee Brace

I love the movie, Sixteen Candles. It’s a terrific “coming of age” story. The exception, for me, was Joan Cusack (a.k.a. Geek Girl #1) trying to get a drink at the water fountain while wearing a Milwaukee Brace.

The first time I saw it, I was startled by the fact that scoliosis – or at least a treatment for it – had “made it” into pop culture. But, the stereotypical overtones bothered me. They still do.

But I digress!

My spondylolisthesis had been so severe that my scoliosis was barely a blip on the orthopedic radar screen. Dr. Keim said if my curve didn’t worsen after my first body cast was removed, I’d be in the clear. My spine, however, had alternate plans and, seven months later, I was off to meet my brace man, Mr. Zamosky, who would custom-fit me for a Milwaukee Brace – an exceedingly awkward contraption created in 1946 by Walter P. Blount and Albert Schmidt as an effective alternative to surgery in treating scoliosis.

It was the “alternative to surgery” part that motivated me and my parents to give it try.

These days, doctors are more likely to prescribe a Boston Brace or Charleston Brace for scoliosis, depending on the nature of the curve. Both braces are lighter, less visible and more comfortable for the patient. You can see photos and read about all three at this link:
http://www.iscoliosis.com/articles-brace_types.html.

Back in 1976, though, the Milwaukee Brace was the headliner in scoliosis treatment, particularly for “S” curves like mine -- which looked similar to the X-ray at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoliosis.

So, into the Milwaukee Brace I went, for 23 hours every day. It was a gamble, whether the brace would cure my scoliosis. No one – not even Dr. Keim – could know for sure if it would pay off.

Then, 2 ½ years later, I had my answer, and my second surgery was scheduled.

8 comments:

  1. I learned much from this post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly bracing is not very as you got to experience the hard way. Fortunately there is developing new alternative treatment that show great promise in correcting scoliosis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment, FixScoli. I've learned that it's all so very individual. While my friend Mary and I both needed surgery after wearing the brace for many years, Mary's daughter, Emily, has had good success with the Boston brace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AT THE AGE 16 I WAS DIAGNOSED,THEN FITTED FOR IT FOR A TERM OF 11 YEARS THEN RELEASED FROM ITS GRIP A NEW AND SOMEWHAT TALLER ME ,SANS MY NASTY S CURVE.,HOWEVER i HAVE BEEN IN NO LESS THAN FIVE OTHER MILWAUKEE BRACES SINCE I WAS ORIGINALLY RELEASED i AM NOW 51 AND HAVE JUST BEEN FITTED FOR NUMBER SIX MOSTLY FOR PAIN CONTROL AND KYPHOSIS,BUT i DON'T MIND ANY MORE AS i HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR SO LONG ,i ALMOST FEEL NAKED WITHOUT IT.THE MILWAUKEE BRACE IS CUMBERSOME AND VERY RESTRICTING BUT AT THE SAME TIME IT IS ALSO VERY HELPFUL IN MY LIFE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Anon. That is the longest I've ever heard someone being treated with a Milwaukee brace. I'm glad it's working for you. Best wishes! Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Similar to the other anon,I was diagnosed at the age of 10,and was weaned out just after my twenty-fifth birthdy.Going in, I had an "S" curve with a cervico-thoracic curve of 42 degrees and a lumbar curve of 50 degrees ,comming out of the multiple braces I wore (16 in all ) my thoracic curve was reduced to 20 deg and my lumbo curve was 16 deg.At age 47 I still have 26 and 16 respectivly ,now unlike most of the stories I read about the "Dreadded Milwaukee brace "I naver had the discomfort and actually didnt mind the way it felt except in the summer My brace fit extremely well and was not the least bit uncomfortable,I actually missed it so much that I went to my dads house and went to the attic to get the last one I ever wore just to see if it still fit ,and to my surprise it still does ,and I still slip it on once in a while just to remember the way things were when I was a kid and had to wear it 23/7 -I did not think it was as bad as most survivors do
    and I still dont hate it ,and actually wear it when my back starts to hurt from arthritis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon2: Thanks for sharing your story! You seem to be an exception with regard to the "comfort" of the Milwaukee brace. I appreciate your stopping by and weighing in on this topic.

    Stay well,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think...