Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Disney parallel

I’ve just returned from a Disney trip/cruise. My parents took my family and my brother’s along with them to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. It was great! We couldn’t have asked for nicer weather and everyone had a wonderful time.

Being in the Magic Kingdom stirred memories of the 1970s when my parents first took my brother, Anthony, and me there.

My memoir takes place during the ‘70s. And, when I mapped out the dates of my childhood Disney visits, there’s a coincidental parallel.

The first trip was in July 1973. It was a halcyon time for Disney, as well as for me. I was 11 and Anthony was nine, and the Magic Kingdom had only been open a couple of years when my family drove down to Florida from New Jersey in the new Chevy Impala.


In 1974, we took the Auto Train -- in August! Space Mountain was under construction, and Epcot had yet to become a Disney imagineer’s aha! moment. There was no such thing as a park hopper pass, because there was just one park, and your vacation package included a limited number of tickets entitling you to visit rides that were categorized “A” (i.e., Cinderella’s Carousel) through “E” (i.e., It’s a Small World and Pirates of the Caribbean).

Then, in 1975, Disney’s first thrill ride -- Space Mountain -- opened, and I received my spondylolisthesis diagnosis. Things would never be the same.

We returned to Disney in April 1977. The golfball icon of Epcot was under construction, and I was wearing the Milwaukee Brace, unaware I’d be having a second spinal fusion the following year. More than anything, I wanted to ride Space Mountain. Dr. Keim had said I could, but my mother had other plans, as detailed in this excerpt from my memoir:



“Maria… If there’s a sign at Space Mountain that says people with back problems shouldn’t ride, you’re not going on it.” I flushed with angry disappointment. Dr. Keim said I could go on Space Mountain. Mom knew that, but she also knew I wouldn’t argue the point in front of everyone. Well played. Mom thought she was doing what was best for me, so arguing was pointless. Which is why my first Space Mountain ride was years later with my own daughter.


During this latest trip to Disney World it was hard not to be nostalgic about how much things have changed. Now, my children and Anthony’s have the same level of excitement for Space Mountain, Test Track and Tower of Terror that we had for the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean. But, this time, I rode them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...