Thursday, April 2, 2009

Talkin’ ‘bout that degeneration

Now that I’m on the wrong side of 40, it’s difficult to discern which aches and pains are a consequence of my spinal fusions, and which just “are.”

I credit my friend, Mary, for ending my blissful ignorance about flatback syndrome. She also helped me realize the burning sensation I sometimes have mid-thoracic is caused by disc degeneration. You can read more about it at this link from the National Scoliosis Foundation’s site:
http://www.scoliosis.org/resources/medicalupdates/pain.php.

I’m a big fan of endorphins. You know. Those wonderful, pain-blocking neurotransmitters that pump through your body when you work up a good sweat. It’s another reason why I’m such an exercise advocate. Many a morning, when I’ve awakened with stiff joints, I press on knowing that relief is just a brief treadmill walk away.

But brisk walking doesn’t alleviate every pain.

Disc degeneration is very common in scoliosis patients, often occurring above and below the fusion site. A few years ago, mine was occurring too often and I went from panic, to misery, to annoyance and, finally, anger. This is a cycle that occurs every few years, prompting me to visit my orthopedist. He’s just a stepping stone, though; my true goal is a prescription for physical therapy to review my daily exercises.

I don’t want to sound like the proverbial “broken record” [and if you’re under 30, you may not even know what a “record” is!], but exercise (of the isometric variety) is an effective means to minimize -- and even eliminate – much of my pain.

Often, it’s just a matter of tweaking what I’m already doing to accommodate the changing needs of my body. Here’s some good info about exercise and maintaining a healthy back:
http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/physical-therapy/rehabilitation-and-exercise-a-healthy-back. But my best advice – if you’re in pain -- is to visit your doctor to rule out more serious causes. Then, ask about exercise and request a referral to a reputable physical therapist for an exercise strategy that is designed specifically for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...