Friday, June 26, 2009

RIP, Michael

My personal media filter is up and running in the wake of yesterday’s news that Michael Jackson -- musician, dancer, artist -- has died of an apparent heart attack.

I don’t want to hear about the past scandals, the eccentric behavior and the massive debt. I just want to enjoy my own memories of Michael and the Jackson Five as they blazed a new trail in musical entertainment during the 1970s, creating their own sound and style. Michael took that groundbreaking tradition further when he went solo, securing his place as the bonafide “King of Pop.”

I grew up with the Jackson Five, singing and dancing to their albums in the privacy of my bedroom. My family had to pound on the door to get my attention, so absorbed was I in the magic of their music.

It’s amazing how many generations of people throughout the world know of Michael Jackson and his incredible talent. As I listened to the BBC this morning, folks from around the globe were reminiscing about him, and how his music and dancing affected their lives.

I count myself among them now as we all mourn this tragic loss of an icon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...