Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Spinal fusions, pregnancy and childbirth – oh my!

A high school friend recently said she was relieved that my spinal fusions had not prevented me from having children. That surprised me. I never thought of my back being a hindrance in that way. In fact, I’d always considered my spine to be stronger than average, having been fortified through fusions.

However, I did consider if I should reproduce – and risk passing spondylolisthesis and scoliosis to my progeny. As I point out in my memoir, if I’d been born a century earlier, I would have been paralyzed by the time I’d reached child-bearing age, and my genes would have stopped with me.

It was amazing how quickly those lofty ideals fell, though, after I married Mark. Subsequently, we have two beautiful children that, thankfully, have not developed any spinal problems.

My first pregnancy was uneventful. Sure, I had some lower back aches, but what expectant mother doesn’t? I remained active by walking our dog every morning and attending a weekly, prenatal exercise class. All in all, I felt great – and very excited to meet my baby.

Then, after 12 hours of unproductive labor – and three incidences of my daughter’s heart rate dropping! – the doctor decided an emergency C-section was in order.

Enter the anesthesiologist. I had not discussed my spinal fusions and the possibility of an epidural up until that point, but when he learned about my previous surgeries his advice was succinct and to the point: “If you’re not having any problems with your back, I wouldn’t risk it.”

The OB who was monitoring my labor and delivery was the one doctor -- out of a practice of five – that I didn’t like. What are the odds? He was arrogant and cocky and actually boasted that he would get that epidural needle in me – if that’s what I wanted.

“Does it matter what I want?” I asked him.

“Of course.”

“Then, put me to sleep!”

Although Mark was in the OR for J’s birth, I hated not being awake for it. So, in the third trimester with my son (who was to be a planned C-section, since he was a Kell baby: http://tiny.cc/XBa0g), I consulted with my then-orthopedist to determine if I had other options. He mentioned a caudal block (
http://tiny.cc/wD7qA), but didn’t really advocate for it.

In the end, I was asleep for both of my children’s births and, given the risks, I think I made the best choice for my future spinal health.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...