Tuesday, February 17, 2015

No height gain for me

When, after two and one-half years of treatment with the Milwaukee Brace, Dr. Keim decided that I needed scoliosis surgery, I wondered if I would be taller. Seemed logical to me: curved spine made straight should add a few inches, right?

That was the subject of a recent study at Boston Children's Hospital, published in the National Library Medicine. The conclusion was that, yes, among the 116 patients (average age: 14.8 years), additional height was gained after scoliosis surgery, and some patients continued to grow post-operatively.

In may case, though, I did not gain any additional inches on my pre-surgery 5' 3" frame. But then my surgery was likely more extensive than those patients participating in the study. I was also older (16) and had probably achieved my adult height by that point.

But thanks to the study's authors for confirming my hypothesis lo, those many years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...